Dear Greek Community,
The indefinite interim suspension announced by President Thrasher on Monday, November 6, 2017 for our university community is still in place.
The university community is engaged in efforts to better understand and enhance the Greek experience. The response from our Florida State students, staff, faculty, advisors, and alumni has been overwhelmingly supportive. The Office of Fraternity & Sorority Life (OFSL) held numerous constituent meetings over the past ten days with the following groups:
- Chapter Presidents and Council officers together
- NPHC Chapter Presidents and Council Officers
- IFC Chapter Presidents and Council Officers
- MGC Chapter Presidents and Council Officers
- Panhellenic Chapter Presidents and Council Officers
- Chapter Advisors and other Alumni Governing Councils and National representatives
- Four FSL student forums
- Three FSU student forums
- Tallahassee Alumnae Panhellenic
- Four Council Conversations
With your continued engagement as a member of our community, we will shift our Florida State culture in a positive direction. To accomplish that, it will be critical for chapters and councils to meet as we move forward. As such, these exceptions are effective November 16, 2017 during the indefinite interim suspension period:
- Each council may host council meetings with the council advisor(s) present.
- Each council may conduct council executive board elections with the council advisor(s) present.
- Chapters may conduct chapter meetings the duration of the fall semester with a chapter advisor or university staff present. Chapter meetings may occur through the last day of classes, Friday, December 8, 2017.
- Chapters may hold officer elections with approval from the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life. The chapter advisor or university staff must be present during all meetings and elections.
- To ensure continued chapter leadership, prior to chapter elections, each organization electing/appointing/slating new officers should submit a detailed transition plan to the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life. Requests for the officer transition plan templates are available through OFSL.
Please adhere to the suspension outlines sent to you on November 6, 2017.
If you have any additional questions or are prepared to share your meeting requests, please contact the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life at firstname.lastname@example.org.