Planning a race or walk (i.e. 5K, 3K, 1 mile fun run, scheduled group walk) at Florida State University is a partnership between the sponsoring organization, FSU Police Department (FSUPD), Medical Response Unit, and office of Campus Event Services. If you are interested in planning race or walk on the FSU campus, you must adhere to these guidelines. Important highlights from the guidelines are outlined below for quick reference.
- Only Recognized Student Organizations (RSOs) and University departments may hold a 5K race on campus. Non-University organizations are not permitted to host a race/walk on campus unless they are invited to co-sponsor the event by a RSO or University entity.
- 5K race dates and routes are determined by the Special Operations division of the FSU Police Department and may only be held on designated race weekends.
- Sgt. Jeremy Izquierdo: (850) 644-3761 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Once date and route are confirmed with FSUPD, race sponsor must complete an event proposal to be reviewed by the appropriate campus partners. More information about the event proposal process can be found here or by contacting the office of Campus Event Services at (850) 644-6083.
- Race sponsor must have a minimum of 50 runners pre-registered for final approval of the race. Proof of the 50 registrants must be provided to the office of Campus Event Services at least 10 business days prior to the event.
- FSUPD reserves the right to cancel any race/walks that do not meet these guidelines or in the case of inclement weather.
- Race sponsor is responsible for marking the route, setting up water stations, and cleaning up any food waste or trash on race day. An unmarked route will result in immediate cancellation of the race.
- Deployment of any colored cornstarch or similar colored powder product is prohibited on campus as this practice is harmful to the environment. This falls into the category of an illicit storm water discharge in the FSU Environmental Health & Safety Manual.